Click HERE to download WORD form
Click HERE to download PDF form
2nd Samuel 6 (NASB) – “Problem Passages”
6 But when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out toward the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen nearly upset it. 7 And the anger of the Lord burned against Uzzah, and God struck him down there for his irreverence; and he died there by the ark of God. 8 David became angry because of the Lord’s outburst against Uzzah, and that place is called Perez-uzzah to this day. 9 So David was afraid of the Lord that day; and he said, “How can the ark of the Lord come to me?” 10 And David was unwilling to move the ark of the Lord into the city of David with him; but David took it aside to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite.
16 Then it happened as the ark of the Lord came into the city of David that Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart.
20 But when David returned to bless his household, Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, “How the king of Israel distinguished himself today! He uncovered himself today in the eyes of his servants’ maids as one of the foolish ones shamelessly uncovers himself!” 21 So David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel; therefore I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes, but with the maids of whom you have spoken, with them I will be distinguished.” 23 Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.
The Big Picture – Outline of context around 2 Samuel 5
· Local Context - David’s ascension & unrest
o David crowned king over Judah (2 Sam 2:1-6)
o Unrest between Judah & Israel (2 Sam 2:7-4:12)
o David crowned over all Israel (2 Sam 5:1-5)
o David brings the ark to Jerusalem (2 Sam 6)
o Glory of David’s Kingship (2 Sam 7-9)
o David’s Kingship Weakness & Failure (2 Sam 10-20)
1025 BC – David anointed
1010 BC – Death of Saul & Jonathon – David is king
1001 BC – David & Bathsheba
Questions about the Text (See Parallel text in 1 Chron 13:1-14)
1. Where has the ark of the covenant been up until this point? Consider (1 Sam 7:1-2, 1 Sam 14:18) (Rev 12:14)
2. What were David and Uzzah’s mistakes? (v. 3 & 6) (Num 4:6, 15, 7:9) (1 Chron 15:13)
3. Do we handle lightly the Holy things of God? (consider Hebrews 10:29, Jer 25:6)
4. Curses come to those who disobeyed, blessings to others like Obed-Edom. Is that so today? (1 Pet 2:6-8)
5. What do you suppose David’s attitude & appearance was as he danced? (v. 12, 14, 1 Sam 2:18)
6. Why might Michal struggle with David? (16, 20-23) (2 Sam 3:13)