“What’s in the box?”
(Ginny Richards, Readers Digest 9/08 p. 86)
- Clap your hands, all you peoples, shout to God with a the voice of triumph! – Psalm 47:1
- Great is the Lord, and most worth of praise, in the city of God, his holy mountain – Psalm 48:1
- The mighty one, God, the Lord, speaks and summons the earth, from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets! - Psalm 50:1!
Psalm 49:10-14 tells us:
“… all can see that wise men die; the foolish and the senseless alike perish and leave their wealth to others. Their tombs will remain their houses forever, their dwellings for endless generations, though they had named lands after themselves. But man, despite his riches, does not endure; he is like the beasts that perish. This is the fate of those who trust in themselves, and of their followers, who approve their sayings. <Selah> Like sheep they are destined for the grave, and death will feed on them. The upright will rule over them in the morning; their forms will decay in the grave, far from their princely mansions.”
· Ps. 89:48 “What man can live and not see death, or save himself from the power of the grave?”
· Job talks to God and says: “I know you will bring me down to death, to the place appointed for all the living.” Job 30:23
· Ecclesiastes warns us - “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.” Ecclesiastes 9:10
Ecclesiastes 7:2 says “Better to go to the house of mourning (the place of death) than to go to the house of feasting, For that is the end of all men; And the living will take it to heart.” (NKJV)
“Every man ought to have the chance to correct his epitaph in midstream and write a new one.”
Genesis 2:16-17 “the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."
“… sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned” Romans 5:12
The Aeneid, Book 8, starting on line 485: - (Written about 25 years before Jesus’ birth)…
living and the dead at his command
Were coupled, face to face, and hand to hand,
Till, chok’d with stench, in loath’d embraces tied,
The ling’ring wretches pin’d away and died.
Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, …… BUT the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Ps 49:15 says it this way: “God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surely take me to himself.”
“The world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground. These were all commended for their faith, YET NONE OF THEM RECEIVED what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that ONLY together with us would they be made perfect.” Hebrews 11:38-40
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far.” Philippians 1:21-23