- Bell Ringer Question: Poll Everywhere
- Which one is NOT one of the seven titles of Jesus in John 1?
- Lamb of God
- King of Israel
- Son of Man
- Prayer for Wisdom:
Isaiah 55:8-9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
- Greek: DOXA
- DOXA - δόξα - Glory - Gamma, Omicron, Xi, Alpha
- John 2:11 - Ταύτην ἐποίησε ἀρχὴν τῶν σημείων ὁ ᾿Ιησοῦς ἐν Κανὰ τῆς Γαλιλαίας καὶ ἐφανέρωσε τὴν δόξαν αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἐπίστευσαν εἰς αὐτὸν οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ.
- John 2:11 - This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
- Strong's G1391 - 168x in NT - glory (145x), glorious (10x), honour (6x), praise (4x), dignity (2x), worship (1x).
- Last Week: LOGOS - λόγος- Word - Lamda, Omicron, Gamma, Omicron, Sigma
- John 1:1 - ᾿Εν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ Λόγος, καὶ ὁ Λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν Θεόν, καὶ Θεὸς ἦν ὁ Λόγος.
- John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- 330x in NT
- Purpose: John specifically states his purpose in 20:31, "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."
- Passage: John 2:1-11
On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Jesus also was invited to the wedding with his disciples. 3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Now there were six stone water jars there for the Jewish rites of purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons. 7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. 8 And he said to them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the feast.” So they took it. 9 When the master of the feast tasted the water now become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom 10 and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now.” 11 This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
- The Chosen Clip (Start at 1:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhjvAAkXbj0
- Context/Background : https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/intros/john.cfm
- Discussion Questions:
- From Bible Project: 7 titles given by others. Which of the titles of John 1 - does this best illustrate?
- Lamb of God
- Son of God
- Jesus of Nazareth
- King of Israel
- Son of Man
- Catholics point to this passage as a reason we should pray to Mary to ask Jesus for miracles. What do you think this passage says about her?
- Weddings in the New Testament?
Matt 9:15 - Jesus said to them, “Can the wedding guests be sad while the groom is with them? The time will come when the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.
Matt 11:17 "A wedding song we played for you, the dance you all did scorn. A woeful dirge we chanted, too, but then you would not mourn.'
Matt 22:2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding banquet for his son.
Matt 22:3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
Matt 22:4 Again, he sent out other slaves, and said, ‘Tell those who are invited: Look, I’ve prepared my dinner; my oxen and fattened cattle have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’
Matt 22:8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
Matt 22:9 So go into the roads leading out of town and invite as many people as you can find to the wedding.'
Matt 22:10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
Matt 22:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
Matt 22:12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
Matt 25:10 “When they had gone to buy some, the groom arrived. Then those who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet, and the door was shut.
Mrk 2:19 Jesus said to them, “The wedding guests cannot fast while the groom is with them, can they? As long as they have the groom with them, they cannot fast.
Luk 5:34 Jesus said to them, “You can’t make the wedding guests fast while the groom is with them, can you?
Luk 7:32 They're like little children who sit in the marketplace and shout to each other, "A wedding song we played for you, the dance you all did scorn. A woeful dirge we chanted, too, but then you would not mourn.'
Luk 12:36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
Luk 14:8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
John 2:1 On the third day a wedding took place in Cana of Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and
John 2:2 Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding as well.
Rev 19:7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him glory, because the wedding celebration of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.
Rev 19:9 Then the angel said to me, "Write the following: Blessed are those who are invited to the banquet at the wedding celebration of the Lamb!" He also said to me, "These are the true words of God."
- Big Ideas:
- #1 - If you believe these miracles and "I am" statements about the Christ, you may have life in His name! - "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." John 20:31
#2 -This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him. - John 2:11
Here are 3 important lessons we can take away from this miraculous event at Cana:
1. Take Your Requests to Jesus but Humbly Accept His Answer
The wine supply ran out during the festivities, so Jesus’s mother told him, “They have no more wine.”
“Dear woman, that’s not our problem,” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.” John 2:3-4
2. Cultivate a Humble and Obedient Heart
But his mother told the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” John 2:5
3. Remember that in God’s Hands, the Ordinary Becomes Extraordinary
When the master of ceremonies tasted the water that was now wine, not knowing where it had come from (though, of course, the servants knew), he called the bridegroom over. “A host always serves the best wine first,” he said. “Then, when everyone has had a lot to drink, he brings out the less expensive wine. But you have kept the best until now!” John 2:9-10
Post a Comment
Thanks for your input. May you be blessed today!